I recently ran across the newest best seller list from Howard's Bookstore in the HT for the week ending May 15, 2009:
1. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance — Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith
2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
3. Netherland by Joseph O’Neill
4. Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend by Bill Russell and Alan Steinberg
5. A Conservationist Manifesto by Scott Russell Sanders
I have heard about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies before, but a little surprised to see it at the top of the list. Then I checked the library catalog and see quite a few holds! If you haven't heard of this before, it is about 85% original P&P text, with 15% added zombie mayhem. Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy as zombie slayers? Lady Catherine de Bourgh dispatching an army of ninjas? This isn't your usual Pride and Prejudice continuation story, but a whole new mash-up genre. While this might not be for everyone, I put myself on the hold list!

No comments:
Post a Comment