49 Up is part of the documentary Up Series. This documentary series follows the lives of about 14 British children starting in 1964 and has checked in with them every 7 years. The first program interviews the children, all from wide backgrounds, to learn their ideas on race, class, religion, careers and family. What emerges every 7 years is a very interesting portrait of the participants and the children, as they grow into young adults and adults, become friends.My suggestion is to start with the first film, 7 UP and then space them out. Especially the early films there is a lot of recycling material as they check back on the kids. Viewing back to back will be repetitive.
Spacing the films out doesn't detract. I admit in watching 49 up recently (after a long hiatus), feeling very connected to these people. My heart especially went out to Neil, who was my favorites from the first series (I want to hug him when he describes wanting to be a coach driver when he grows up) and I worried about him through the some very difficult years (21, 28 and 35). I won't say what happens to Neil in 49 Up, but you'd be surprised.
This cinematic experiment is a must see for documentary aficionados, but is also very accessible.
Roger Ebert puts it nicely, describing the series as "an inspired, almost noble use of the film medium. Apted penetrates to the central mystery of life."
1 comment:
I love this series. Someone told me about the first one, and I've found it fascinating to revisit these folks every seven years. What a great idea for a documentary series!
Post a Comment