
Spindle's End is a retelling of the classic fairy tale, Sleeping Beauty. While I'm glad that I gave this a shot and finished reading, it wasn't one of my favorites. The story and characters weren't too bad and I am happy to see some strong female characters, but the endless narration and lack of dialog detracted from the overall story. I also felt that the magical world of the Gig to be so artificially constructed that I was having to constantly be reminded how the magic worked. The magical world becomes sloppy and overpowering. Compared to the magical world of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which seemed to enrich the story in a effortless way, the magic in Spindle's End was lacking.
I have heard though from a few people who loved this book, so maybe it does just come down to what you like to read. Publisher's Weekly had a good review, "dense with magical detail and all-too-human feeling, this luscious, lengthy novel is almost impossible to rush through."
No comments:
Post a Comment