Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another Life: the final Burke novel


One of my favorite authors wraps up my favorite gritty detective series in a less than stellar novel. I love the Burke stories- an underground private detective of sorts saves a variety of victims (especially children) with the help of his "family" of misfits. These tales are always extremely dark, and although Burke is a man of violence his heart is always in the right place. This novel goes on a winding journey to solve a mystery that I figured out early in the book. Throughout the story Burke's background is revealed which was interesting, but the rest of the book meandered around and tried to be a little too preachy. If this is really the last of the Burke novels I am very disappointed. I hope Vachss comes back with at least one more to finish the job off right. I would even like it better if he killed Burke off. One thing I did like about this book was that Burke got another dog, a pit named Rosie, since his beloved Pansy (a Neopolitan Mastiff) has been gone for awhile now. If you want to try out a Burke novel I suggest you start with an earlier one, as this is definitely not the best.

No comments: