Friday, August 29, 2008

Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series

Confessions of Georgia Nicolson Series, by Louise Rennison:
1. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging
2. On the Bright Side, I'm now the Girlfriend of a Sex God
3. Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas
4. Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants
5.
Away Laughing on a Fast Camel

6. Then He Ate my Boy Entrancers
7. Startled by His Furry Shorts
8. Love is a Many Trousered Thing and
9. Stop in the Name of Pants!
(There may be more to come, but Wikipedia doesn't know anything about it, and the author's website still says the Stop in the Name of Pants! is coming July 2008!, so is obviously a little outdated.)


The series is in diary form and tells of Georgia's friends, family, school, and boy concerns. The first books were enjoyable, but the books in the middle were kind of a let down-- the author was being silly just for the sake of being silly. Things started to pick up around book 6, however; Georgia began to seriously consider some of her relationships and question to point of dating. Georgia and her mates aren't exactly role models, but, unlike Kate Brian's Private series (I'll blog on that when I've finished it), I would feel no compunctions about recommending these to teens.

I don't believe that every book has to have some profound insight into the human condition, but I do like to see real words and full sentences as much as possible, which may make me a bit of a book snob. (You can view a list of the fake words in two of the books on one of my previous blog posts.) If you can look past the silliness, the books can be very fun. If, however, poor writing drags you down, these may not be the best books for you.
I also couldn't get behind the not-really-diary form of the diary; it was almost like a stream-of-consciousness check-in, with thoughts at 10:14, 30 seconds later, 5 seconds later, and 11:29 pm. But I guess young readers won't be so picky.

No comments: