Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Pig That Wants to be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher


OK, OK, winter is time for self-improvement, and I have a heady confession to make. I know nothing about philosophy, not counting the Tao of Pooh. And really in my heart I still believe that no Plato or Descartes or Hobbs can come close to Pooh's way of describing the universe, so this book is about my speed. It offers a hundred 2 or 3 or 4 page summaries of philosophical concepts written for--you got--everywoman or man. What is knowledge as opposed to belief? How important is experience for learning? What is the self? Is art intrinsically valuable? My favorite is Wittgenstein's tiny beetle box. Hint: it answers the question is language really a game? To get to the cruz of the matter: does the pig really, really want to be eaten? You don't have to be a vegan to know the answer to that but for all other questions about this mysterious universe we live in, check out this little book.

No comments: