Monday, November 3, 2008

Hunger Games


This YA book by Suzanne Collins is definitely for older YA's- plenty of relatively graphic violence abounds in this story. It is the science fictiony tale of a bleak future US called Panem, which has 12 districts. The people live in very poor, near-starving conditions. Each year to punish the residents for an unsuccessful uprising two teens are chosen by random lottery to participate in the Hunger Games. These are staged in an arena with outdoor conditions and the participants fight to the death, all while being broadcast on television. The winner lives a life of comfort. The main character is a girl, 16-year-old Katniss, who voluntarily takes her 12-year-old sister's place. I liked that the main character is a tough teenage girl. The book is quick read, with almost immediate action. I enjoyed this novel a lot, even though there was a somewhat cheesey romantic subplot, which probably appeals to teens. This is the first of what is to be a triology and I look forward to the next two installments

This book has received great reviews, even raves from Stephen King.

No comments: